Saturday night’s UFC Fight Night 101 event at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia left fans standing on their feet as the night came to its end.
In what was a night filled with hard fought decisions and some questionable judges scorecards, the fans in Melbourne left on a high note when Australia’s own Robert Whittaker capped off the event by surviving a relentless and reckless attack from Derek Brunson before delivering a devastating flurry of punches that put Brunson on the mat and forced referee Herb Dean to stop the fight.
After his big win in front of the home crowd, Whittaker called for a title shot.
“I’ve been in the top-10 for a while,” he said during his post-fight interview. “I’ve tried to demonstrate my ability every time I step in here and make an example. I’m ready for those top five contenders. I’m ready for my shot.”
Whittaker, who was rocked early, definitely made his case for a shot in the crowded middleweight division, but there are others in line who could delay his chance at gold.
How did the rest of the night go?
If you missed out on Saturday night’s event, we have you covered.
The full event results from UFC Fight Night 101 in Melbourne can be seen below:
- Robert Whittaker def. Derek Brunson via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:07
- Andrew Holbrook def. Jake Matthews via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Omari Akhmedov def. Kyle Noke via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Alex Volkanovski def. Yusuke Kasuya via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:06
- Tyson Pedro def. Khalil Rountree via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:07
- Danielle Taylor def. Seo Hee Ham via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Kelly def. Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Damien Brown def. Jon Tuck via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jonathan Meunier def. Richard Walsh via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ben Nguyen def. Geane Herrera via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-27)
- Jason Knight def. Dan Hooker via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)
- Marlon Vera def. Ning Guangyou via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jenel Lausa def. Yao Zhikui via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)