Former UFC fighter Tim Kennedy is going back to the battlefield.
Over the weekend, Kennedy announced during an interview on FOX News that he has made the decision to reenlist in the United States Army Special Forces.
Kennedy had retired from mixed martial arts earlier this year.
The decision by Kennedy came after he saw the news that a Special Forces operator was killed by ISIS earlier this month and following the display of force by the United States when it dropped the Mother Of All Bombs (MOAB) in Afghanistan last week.
“They’re a bunch of cowards,” Kennedy said of ISIS. “They’re a bunch of pathetic humans that have no similarities to any of the things that we value or love, like human life. They prey on the weak, they prey on the helpless, whereas we’re the protectors of those. The stark contrast between us – I don’t understand how they even exist and how we’re the same species. So when they go and kill one of my brothers, they gotta know that the biggest bomb ever built is the least of their concern.
“I have hope again. The military, we got our teeth back.
“We have a reinvigorated, beautiful, hopeful military that is proud to be back on the team. So I jumped out of a helicopter last weekend, I raised my hand, I said I will defend the constitution, because I’ve got people that will back me now. We’re here to do work, we’re here to win a war that we’ve been fighting and just holding onto for 16 years, and that’s about to change.”
The 37 year old previously joined the Army on January 4, 2004, before transitioning to the Texas Army National Guard in August of 2009 and serving as a Special Forces Weapons Sergeant.