The Michigan Wolverines men’s basketball team received some good news last night, as coach John Beilein announced that star guard Zak Irvin is expected to return to the hardwood by the start of the regular season. Brendan F. Quinn of MLive.com reported Beilein’s announcement.
Irvin had back surgery last month, on September 9 to be specific, and has an estimated recovery time of six to eight weeks. Beilein weighed in on his player’s status.
“He can’t do anything yet, but he’s very vocal and leading,” Beilein said Friday morning. “We feel really good about what we said, (that he’ll return) somewhere here in the start of the season and we expect him to be back out on the court for us.”
Irvin’s presence is vitally important to Michigan’s success in the 2015-16 season, as he carried the team last year when teammate Caris Levert went down with a foot injury. Irvin averaged 14.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and though he only shot 40 percent from the field, he made 35.5 percent of his threes. At 6-foot-6, 215 pounds, he provides length and athleticism on the wing and with Levert set to return at full health, Irvin will surely help Michigan improve off of a 16-16 (8-10 Big Ten) season that saw them not play in any postseason competition.
Michigan opens the 2015-16 season at home against the Division II Northern Michigan Wildcats.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports