Ohio State self-reports NCAA violation involving Cardale Jones

Ohio State recently self-reported an NCAA violation after quarterback Cardale Jones attended a celebrity softball game, per a report from campus newspaper The Lantern on the number of NCAA violations big and small amongst the athletic programs.

In this particular case, Jones attended a celebrity softball game for charity hosted by Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden. The Lantern offered more.

“In one case, an OSU football player was told that he was neither permitted to participate in nor attend the Joe Haden Celebrity Charity Softball game in Cleveland on June 6. However, on the morning of the event he called his position coach and was told he could attend the event but not participate,” the report read.

“Because the school had not provided written approval to attend, a violation had occurred. An OSU spokesman could not confirm the identity of the player, but redshirt junior quarterback Cardale Jones was documented to have attended the game.

“In response to the violation, a letter of education was provided to all football coaches and staff emphasizing the rules regarding promotional activities, as well as reviewed with football student-athletes.”

While it’s good to know that Ohio State won’t suffer any long-term consequences from Jones’ presence at the softball game, this is just another case of the NCAA needing to loosen its restrictions on student athletes.

Jones was not paid to attend the game, nor was he given a ride there, or money to get one. Long story short, it’s just the NCAA looking for a reason to keep student-athletes under control.

Hopefully, this report will add to the movement to curtail that control.

Can’t get enough of Campus Sports? Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Instagram to stay updated with the latest news and exclusive giveaways!

*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports