Since being established in 2005, the Wuerffel Trophy has been given annually to a college football player who has a great impact in the community away from the football field. Past winners include former Texas defensive end Sam Acho, former USC quarterback Matt Barkley and, of course, Tim Tebow.
Kevin McGuire of NBC Sports’ College Football Talk reported earlier today that eight semifinalists for the award have been named. They are as follows:
- Spencer Drango, offensive lineman, Baylor
- Ross Martin, kicker, Duke
- Nate Sudfeld, quarterback, Indiana
- Landon Foster, punter, Kentucky
- Garrett Adcock, offensive line, New Mexico
- Corey Robinson, wide receiver, Notre Dame
- Ty Darlington, offensive line, Oklahoma
- Alex Zmolik, tight end, Toledo
The next step is three finalists being announced on November 24, with the winner being named on December 8 at a New York City press conference by the National Football Foundation.
Stay tuned to Campus Sports for more updates on this excellent award!
*Featured Photo (above) credit to Getty Images