Both Frankie Edgar and Conor McGregor notched first round knockouts in their last respective fights, with Edgar thinking that he was next in line to fight for the title.
Now though, it appears Edgar’s title shot against the new champ McGregor isn’t as much of a done deal as he might have been led to believe. Therefore, Edgar has already started campaigning for his chance in the octagon with the Irish fighter.
“Stick around, man,” Edgar told MMAjunkie. “One more go at it. I know people on Twitter are saying I could beat him. Let him prove them wrong.”
Edgar sat cageside for McGregor vs. Aldo at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena, and afterward he said he was brought to the cage door and was met by UFC President Dana White, who previously promised him a title shot.
“I walked by the steps and Dana said, ‘No,’” Edgar said, adding, “Why would I come in if they don’t know what’s going on yet?” Edgar also said that White said, “we have to wait to see what Conor does.”
Tuesday, McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh, gave one hint at the future, telling MMAFighting a meeting with Edgar could come in July at UFC 200 after a showdown at UFC 198 with the winner of Saturday’s title rematch between champ Raphael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 17.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports