Over the weekend, it was reported free agent quarterback Johnny Manziel was set to be indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge related to family violence which carries a potential sentence of up to a year.
The charge stems from an incident earlier this year where Manziel allegedly hit and threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley.
On Tuesday, Manziel was officially indicted on the charge, but his attorney, Jim Darnell, said he is confident his client will be cleared of any wrongdoing in the case.
“We certainly respect the decision of the grand jury but of course they only hear one part of the case: What the D.A. chooses to share with them. We don’t know what that was,” the statement said, via Pro Football Talk. “The case will now be assigned to a court in Dallas County where the parties are able to join the issue. Johnny will certainly plead ‘not guilty’ and we believe the evidence will support that plea.
“Out of respect for Ms. Crowley, we will not try the case in the press. We do, however, believe that Johnny will be acquitted at the conclusion of this case.”
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. But for now, Manziel’s playing career is on hold.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports