Earlier this month, many college football coaches across the country were upset when the NCAA decided to ban satellite camps after a 10-5 vote from conferences from the Football Bowl Subdivision. However, it looks like the negative response has caused them to overturn their ruling.
The announcement came down Thursday afternoon as it is a part of their intentions to a complete review of the recruiting process. It also has a lot to do with a few of the conferences not being in complete agreement on banning the camps.
“The Board of Directors is interested in a holistic review of the football recruiting environment, and camps are a piece of that puzzle,” said Board of Directors chair Harris Pastides, president of the University of South Carolina. “We share the Council’s interest in improving the camp environment, and we support the Council’s efforts to create a model that emphasizes the scholastic environment as an appropriate place for recruiting future student-athletes.”
In the vote, Sun Belt representative Texas State athletic director Larry Teis and PAC-12 representative UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero both went against their conferences’ wishes to vote in favor of the satellite camps.
It is going to be interesting to see what the NCAA decides to do over the coming weeks. All that can be said now is that Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh must be pretty excited.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports