Florida State SGA bans Native American headdresses at athletic events

The Florida State Seminoles have one of the biggest fan bases in all of college sports and they are pretty well known for Chief Osceola running out before games and thrusting his flaming spear in the middle of the field.

Many fans join in by dressing as Native Americans at the game, but that will not happen into the future.

The FSView, the school’s student newspaper, reported that the Student Government Association voted to ban headdresses at all athletic events going forward. The vote was 27-4, with five members abstaining.

The Seminoles have recently come under fire for their mascot, joining the number of professional and collegiate teams to come under fire for racially insensitive names or imagery, like the Washington football team and the Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo logo.

The paper also reported that the headdresses more closely resemble those of the Sioux tribes rather than a Seminole tribe.

“I believe the intentions are genuine, and in the best interest in the Seminole Tribe of Florida, I have a great concern for the fact that this could impede on student’s first amendment rights,” a former SGA official, who opted to remain anonymous, said.

“There’s nothing in national or state legislation that restricts an indivduals right to restrict clothing or material, and I believe there are certain consequences associated with the bill that could impede on student’s first amendment rights and could introduce trouble for the university itself.”

This is certainly going to be an interesting story to follow for the next few months leading up to the start of the 2016 college football season.

Can’t get enough of Campus Sports? Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Instagram to stay updated with the latest news and exclusive giveaways!

*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports