Following Notre Dame’s loss to the USC Trojans in the team’s regular-season finale on Saturday, rumors began to swirl that head coach Brian Kelly could be exploring opportunities outside of the program.
However, on Sunday morning, the Fighting Irish head coach released a statement that reaffirmed his commitment to his team in South Bend.
“I felt that I was clear with the media following yesterday’s game at USC when I was asked about my desire to be back as the head football coach at Notre Dame,” Kelly said in a statement. “But in light of media reports that surfaced afterward, let me restate my position. I have not been, am not, and will not be interested in options outside of Notre Dame. I am fully committed to leading this program in the future.”
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said earlier this season that Kelly would be the head coach next year, so if Kelly is truly committed, there’s no reason to believe he won’t retain his job despite a disappointing 4-8 mark in 2016.
During his time in South Bend, Kelly has recorded an overall record of 59-31.