The latest Mel Kiper Mock Draft for 2017 was released on Wednesday morning by ESPN’s NFL Draft guru.
Keeping with the trend we have seen since the draft discussion began, the top end of the first round is dominated by defensive talent. In Kiper’s top five, four players are on the defensive side, while North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky is the lone offensive player.
Kiper has the Browns taking Texas A&M star Myles Garrett with the No. 1 overall pick, while Trubisky goes No. 2 to San Francisco.
There is also plenty of intrigue this year regarding the running back position, with one of the strongest classes we have seen in recent years. LSU’s Leonard Fournette is the first running back off the board, going to the New York Jets at No. 6 in a bit of a surprise pick.
Dalvin Cook of Florida State is the second running back selected, heading to Washington at pick 17. Kiper also gave Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey a first-round nod at No. 29 to the Green Bay Packers.
Kiper’s top ten picks can be seen below, with the full first round and explanations available by clicking here.
- Cleveland Browns – Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
- San Francisco 49ers – Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
- Chicago Bears – Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Tennessee Titans (from Rams) – Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- New York Jets – Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Los Angeles Chargers – Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- Carolina Panthers – Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
- Cincinnati Bengals – Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills – Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson