We’ve all been told this at some point: “College is the best four years of your life.”
What we should’ve been told is, “College is the best four years of your life — minus finals week.”
The last week of the semester is full of college students ready to go home for break, but are instead forced to complete a “final” assignment for each class. Just in case that isn’t awful enough, the universe decides to keep it coming by making more than one final due on the same day.
Although it seems like college students wouldn’t have time to breathe — let alone think — here are 10 things every college student thinks during finals week:
10. I have the right to get mad when someone leaves the library before me.
9. This is the first time I’ve used this over-priced book all semester.
8. Getting things done is more important than getting them done perfectly.
7. “Everyone looks tired” is an understatement… I’m surrounded by zombies!
6. Coffee and all-nighters are necessary for survival.
5. It’s acceptable to wear pajamas all day, everyday this week.
4. Facebook could potentially ruin my future.
3. Sleeping, eating and showering are no longer priorities.
2. This week is really called “finals week” because it’s made up of my final days.
1. I can’t do this.
Basically, college students think too much during finals week. Somewhere in the midst of a continuously flowing stream of consciousness, these thoughts change.
Once they realize they can do it, they no longer believe they can’t. Upon realizing perfection is both unattainable and not the goal, college students stop stressing over and striving for it.
My thinking changed when I called my dad at 4am and crying hysterically because I couldn’t get my British Literature paper to flow:
“It’s just a paper,” he stated.
And he’s right. They are just papers, they are just tests and they themselves are not as important as the process you go through to complete them. Despite what you may think now — as you are struggling through the process — you will appreciate it someday when you’re past it. So, while finals week doesn’t constitute the best or most enjoyable time of your college life, try not to hate it too much.
Believe it or not, you’ll miss it when it’s gone.
*Section Photo credit to Comcast; Featured Photo (above) credit to Peer Transfer