Florida State may have another controversy on its hands when football begins in the fall. At least this time it will be resolved on the field.
Earlier this month the Seminoles received some exciting news when former Notre Dame Quarterback Everett Golson, elected to transfer to Florida State and continue his playing career. Now the Seminoles, who seemed ready to move on from the Jameis Winston era, will now hold an open quarterback competition with Golson and Junior Sean Maguire.
The key word is competition according to head coach Jimbo Fisher. Fisher told Ralph Russo of the associated press that “Controversy and competition is two different things.”
Some believe Golson has the edge over Maguire because of his success he had at Notre Dame. Golson help lead the Irish to the National Championship as a redshirt freshman. However Golson was unable to build off his success and was suspended for his entire sophomore year before returning for an up and down junior year last season.
There were also rumors that Golson was handed the job behind closed doors, but Jimbo Fisher said that was never promised.
“I just wanted to be honest with him and explain to him my thought process as the head coach,” Fisher said, via the Associated Press. “I’m open with all of our players like that. “There’s never going to be anything I’m doing behind your back.”
The Seminoles will begin camp in early August.
Fisher and his coaching staff would like to name a starter within the first two weeks of camp to allow enough time to work with the first team offense. Also working in the Seminoles favor is the fact they open the season with Texas State and USF in Tallahassee.
One thing is for certain, camp for Florida State will no longer be a quiet transition at the quarterback position, but an exciting rumor field month wondering who will be taking snaps under center come September 5.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports