It seems as though Louisville head coach Rick Pitino is getting very familiar with the country of Puerto Rico. After debuting as the Puerto Rican national team head coach in July, his Cardinals will be taking a trip to the island in mid-August.
According to College Basketball Talk, the team will not be going for a vacation as they have a very busy schedule ahead of them upon their arrival in the United States territory. During the team’s six-day trip, they will play nine games, with three of those days being doubleheaders.
What’s more is that the team will be playing against Pitino as his duties for coaching the national team come into action while the team is in Puerto Rico. The assistants will be stepping in to coach for Pitino when the Cardinals play the national team.
The doubleheaders are schedule for August 11, 12, and 15. All three of those days the team will play against a junior team that is to be followed by the Pitino-led national team.
Here is the full schedule:
- Tuesday, Aug. 11: Louisville vs. Junior team (5:30 p.m.) and National team (8 p.m.)
- Wednesday, Aug. 12: Louisville vs. Junior team (5:30 p.m.) and National team (8 p.m.)
- Thursday, Aug. 13: Louisville vs. PR Junior team (8 p.m.)
- Friday, Aug. 14: Louisville vs. National team (8 p.m.)
- Saturday, Aug. 15: Louisville vs. Junior team (5:30 p.m.) and National team (8 p.m.)
- Sunday, Aug. 16: Louisville vs. National team (7 p.m.)
This is the second trip the Cardinals have made to Puerto Rico in less than a year. The team traveled to the island to open the season against Pitino’s son Richard Pitino’s Minnesota Golden Gophers as part of the Armed Forces Classic in Aguadilla.
This is sure to be an interesting trip out of the country for the Cardinals. Good luck to the team and may they have safe travels.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports