One of the top bantamweight fighters on the UFC’s roster is set to return to the Octagon after being on the sidelines for more than a year thanks to a shoulder injury.
Spanish news outlet La Aficion first reported the news that Erik “Goyito” Perez will be returning to the cage for the first time since June of 2014 when he takes on Damian Stasiak at UFC Fight Night 78.
The event will also serve as the finale for The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2 Finale and — more importantly for Perez — it will take place in his hometown of Monterrey, Mexico at Arena Monterrey.
Perez was hopeful to fight on the UFC’s debut card in Mexico last year, but the shoulder injury forced him to withdraw from his scheduled bout with Marcus Brimage.
Now, Perez will finally get to fight in his home country for the first time since he joined the UFC. The event is headlined by a welterweight matchup between Kelvin Gastelum and Matt Brown. UFC Fight Night 78 will take place on Nov. 21.
With the addition of Perez vs. Stasiak, the updated UFC Fight Night 78 fight card can be seen below.
- Matt Brown vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Efrain Escudero vs. Leandro Silva
- Ricardo Lamas vs. Diego Sanchez
- Henry Cejudo vs. Jussier Formiga
- Erik Perez vs. Damian Stasiak
- opponent TBA vs. opponent TBA in “TUF: Latin America 2” lightweight final
- opponent TBA vs. opponent TBA in “TUF: Latin America 2” welterweight final
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports