The New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick have essentially been playing a game of chicken all offseason. Neither party wants to budge on their demands, so it’s no wonder they’ve failed to reach a deal.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter went as far as to say that Fitz would rather not play at all than accept the offer the team gave him, leading some to believe that the QB may have plans to retire.
But Monday, Fitzpatrick didn’t sound like that person. He told SiriusXM NFL Radio, “I had a great time with the guys last year and I want to continue doing this. I’m still preparing for the season.”
He has also told reporters that he has absolutely no intention of sitting out the upcoming season.
“I’m playing,” Fitzpatrick said. “I’m playing football next year.”
It sounds like the quarterback would like to be a Jet again this year, but failed to give any details on the status of the ongoing negotiations.
Fitzpatrick refused to provide any further comment on the possibility of him joining the Jets this season, but its clear that its a money problem. He feels he is being underpaid, with the Jets’ first offer of the free agency reportedly being just $7-8 million annually.
The going rate for starting quarterbacks stands at $18 million, so it’s easy to see why Fitzpatrick feels he’s being slighted.
Getting Fitzpatrick on board again is the Jets’ number one priority right now, as they cannot place the same amount of confidence in their current quarterbacks as they can in Fitzpatrick. The current depth chart at the QB position for the Jets has Geno Smith at number one, followed by Bryce Petty and then the recently drafted Chrisitian Hackenberg.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports