Last month, Trent Dilfer was set to leave ESPN according to multiple reports. Dilfer now claims that he will stay with the network.
In fact, it’s quite possible that the rumors were never true to begin with. Dilfer is excited to be a part of ESPN, and will have an even larger role this year than in the past.
“A lot of stuff gets said that isn’t true,” Dilfer said to the TheMMQB.com. “I’ve been under contract with ESPN and I am still under contract with ESPN. I will be next year as well. I will be back, and in fact, doing more of an expanded role. It will be Monday Night Countdown and Sunday NFL Countdown. The Sunday morning thing is new for me. I’m excited to be working with the new guys, Matthew Hasselbeck, Charles Woodson—and still working with Chris Berman.”
The fact that both Trent Dilfer and ESPN waited nearly two months to clear the air on the subject is reason to believe that there may have been talks of him leaving at all.
After all, ESPN has made quite a few changes to their on-air coverage of the NFL during the offseason. Big names like Cris Carter and Keyshawn Johnson left the network, while Mike Ditka took on a more reduced role.
Dilfer won’t be among those leaving, though. We can expect to see him on-air with ESPN for at least another season.
*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports