Michigan State OG Brandon Clemons gets sixth year of eligibility

The Michigan State Spartans seem to be rebuilding their offense this offseason after losing a number of starters from 2015. Luckily for them, they will get a big offensive lineman back as Brandon Clemons has received a sixth year of eligibility.

Clemons has played 32 games across his career and has already won three letters with the Spartans. He missed most of his redshirt freshman season in 2012 due to a foot injury, which was the catalyst for getting one more year to play for Michigan State.

“Brandon Clemons adds a great deal of experience and stability to the offensive line,” coach Mark Dantonio said in a news release.

Clemons will likely compete for a starting job going into the 2016 season. The Spartans lost All-Americans Jack Conklin and Jack Allen at tackle and center as well as starting guard Donovan Clark.

“I believe the team is only as good as the seniors,” Dantonio said. “Brandon has been part of a winning culture here the past five years and we’re excited he’s getting the opportunity to maintain that level of excellence for his sixth season. He’s everything you’re looking for in a quality student-athlete. He earned his degree last year and will be a go-to guy in the offensive line room this season for our football team.”

Clemons was on the starting rotation of guards on the offensive line last year and he played in 13 games. He recorded 16 knockdowns and a season-high 4.5 in their win over Ohio State.

The Spartans open the season on Sept. 2 when they host the Furman Paladins.

Can’t get enough of Campus Sports? Follow us on TwitterFacebook and Instagram to stay updated with the latest news and exclusive giveaways!

*Featured Photo (above) credit to USA TODAY Sports