The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s New York debut finally has a main event. Early Tuesday morning, UFC officials confirmed featherweight champion Conor McGregor will face off against lightweight title holder Eddie Alvarez in the main event of UFC 205.
With a win, McGregor would become the first UFC fighter in history to simultaneously hold two championships in two different weight classes.
Previously, Randy Couture and BJ Penn have won titles in multiple divisions.
— UFC (@ufc) September 27, 2016
The addition of McGregor vs. Alvarez also marks the third championship fight on the UFC 205 main card, joining Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson for the welterweight strap and Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz battling for the strawweight title.
UFC 205 takes place at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. The preliminary card will air on UFC Fight Pass and FOX Sports 1, with the main card airing only on pay-per-view.
The updated UFC 205 fight card can be seen below:
- Champ Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor – for lightweight title
- Champ Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson – for welterweight title
- Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz – for strawweight title
- Yoel Romero vs. Chris Weidman
- Rashad Evans vs. Tim Kennedy
- Raquel Pennington vs. Miesha Tate
- Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Thiago Alves vs. Jim Miller
- Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
- Lyman Good vs. Belal Muhammad