One of the most difficult and grueling aspects of mixed martial arts is the weight cut leading up to fight day. On Thursday, the women competing in Friday night’s Invicta FC 20 event on UFC Fight Pass were reminded of just that.
Weight cuts are never easy, especially for the women, and one competitor had to go to extreme lengths in order to make weight.
Invicta FC strawweight Samantha Diaz, , who is making her professional MMA debut against Miranda Maverick on tomorrow night’s preliminary card, was just shy of the 116-pound weight limit so she decided to chop off her hair to hit the mark.
Diaz weighed in at 115.9 pounds, just under the limit.
Unfortunately, while Diaz was going to great lengths in order to hold up her end of the contract, her opponent missed weight by more than two pounds. The full weigh-in results can be seen below.
- Tonya Evinger (134.7) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (134.1)
- Angela Hill (114.8) vs. Kaline Medeiros (114.3)
- Herica Tiburcio (105.9) vs. Simona Soukupova (106)
- Amber Brown (114.8) vs. Ashley Yoder (117)
- Jessica-Rose Clark (136) vs. Pam Sorenson (140.6)
- Lynn Alvarez (115.5) vs. JJ Aldrich (115.9)
- Stephanie Egger (135.7) vs. Alexa Conners (135.9)
- Miranda Maverick (118.4) vs. Samantha Diaz (115.9)
Invicta FC 20 is headlined by a women’s bantamweight championship bout between current title holder Tonya Evinger and Yana Kunitskaya. In the co-main event, strawweight champion Angela Hill defends her belt against Kaline Medeiros.
The first fight — which features Diaz — gets underway at 8 p.m. ET tomorrow night.
Photos from today’s weigh-ins can be seen below.
Photo Credit: Esther Lin/Invicta FC