On Monday, MTV announced a new season of The Challenge which will pit champions of the past against a team of current and former professional athletes. The season is being dubbed The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros.
The six-week special will be hosted by NFL wide receiver Victor Cruz and it will premiere on Tuesday, May 16 at 9 p.m. ET.
Notable professional athletes featured on The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros are former NFL linebacker Shawne Merriman, Olympian Lolo Jones, former WNBA star Candice Wiggins, UFC fighter CM Punk and Olympic snowboarder Louie Vito.
Here is more on the show from the official press release:
Before we get to the roster, the game rules for the first-of-its-kind clash of the titans is as follows: Each episode will focus on a different strength (agility, ingenuity, brawn, brains, endurance and guts). Every week, the winning team’s captain will choose one member of their team to go into the elimination round, and the rest of the team will vote in their opponent. The losing team’s captain is automatically sent into elimination, and their team will also nominate their opponent. The final male and female competitors of the season will endure the ultimate test, showcasing each strength in one heart-pounding race for the chance to win $50,000 for their favorite charity.
The list of athletes competing and the charities they will be supporting can be seen below, via MTV:
- Tia Blanco – Professional surfer (St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital)
- Louise Hazel – Olympian/fitness expert (Save the Children)
- Lindsey Jacobellis – Professional snowboarder (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
- Lolo Jones – Olympic hurdler/bobsledder (Hurdles of Hope)
- Candice Wiggins – Former WNBA athlete (Greater Than AIDS)
- Gus Kenworthy – Professional skier/Olympic medalist (The Trevor Project and the Happy Hippie Foundation)
- Shawne Merriman – Retired NFL linebacker (Lights On Foundation)
- CM Punk – UFC fighter (PAWS Chicago)
- Louie Vito – Professional snowboarder/Olympian (Wings for Life)
- Kamerion Wimbley – Retired NFL linebacker (Kamerion Wimbley Foundation)