A highly-anticipated fight in the featherweight division has been called off, according to a report by Combate on Wednesday evening.
Per the report, former champion Frankie Edgar has been forced out of his scheduled bout with Max Holloway after suffering a facial injury during training. The injury will require surgery, forcing Edgar out of the bout slated for Dec. 2.
Holloway hinted at the news in a cryptic post on social media.
There is no word on whether Holloway will remain on the card. Holloway claimed UFC gold by defeating Jose Aldo by TKO at UFC 212 in June.
UFC 218 takes place at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit.
Along with the scheduled featherweight title bout, the pay-per-view is set to feature a heavyweight matchup between top contenders Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou. An intriguing flyweight matchup between Henry Cejudo and Sergio Pettis is also set to take place, along with a matchup between The Ultimate Fighter coaches Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje.
- Max Holloway vs. TBD — for the featherweight championship
- Alistair Overeem vs. Francis Ngannou
- Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje
- Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson
- Alex Oliveira vs. Yancy Medeiros
- David Teymur vs. Drakkar Klose
- Felice Herrig vs. Cortney Casey
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi
- Jeremy Kimball vs. Dominick Reyes
- Justin Willis vs. Allen Crowder
- Amanda Cooper vs. Angela Magana