Paige VanZant’s flyweight debut did not go as planned.
In the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis, VanZant took on Jessica-Rose Clark and suffered her second consecutive loss and third in her last four outings.
During the fight, however, VanZant realized something went wrong early.
While attempting a spinning backfist in the opening round, VanZant suffered a fractured arm. She went on to fight through the pain for the remaining 10 minutes before falling short on the judge’s scorecards.
Here’s video of the moment VanZant suffered the injury:
— Josh Sánchez (@jnsanchez) January 15, 2018
After the fight, VanZant took to social media to show off the x-ray which confirmed the fracture.
View this post on Instagram
Well… I broke my arm in the first! I was able to finish the fight but as you can see, had a hard time recovering and throwing my right. Thank you to the @ufc and to my opponent. Thank you to my coaches and most importantly my head coach’s @therealburkecamp and @fabianoscherner . I’ll be back better and stronger than ever! 💪🏼🦁 it’s all apart of the fight game. God had other plans for me. 🙏🏼 darn spinning back fist.
Hopefully VanZant will be able to recover in a timely manner before returning to the Octagon and looking to get back into the win column.
The full results from UFC Fight Night 124 can be seen below:
- Jeremy Stephens def. Dooho Choi via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:36
- Jessica-Rose Clark def. Paige VanZant via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kamaru Usman def. Emil Meek via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Darren Elkins def. Michael Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:22
- James Krause def. Alex White via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Marco Polo Reyes def. Matt Frevola via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:00
- Irene Aldana def. Talita Bernardo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kyung Ho Kang def. Guido Cannetti via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:53
- Jessica Eye def. Kalindra Faria via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- J.J. Aldrich def. Danielle Taylor via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mads Burnell def. Mike Santiago via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)