There was a terrifying scene at PFL 7 on Thursday, Aug. 30. In the opening bout of the night, LeRoy Johnson suffered a devastating knockout loss after running directly into a knee from Muhammed DeReese. After taking the knee to the head, Johnson immediately collapsed to the mat in a heap of unconsciousness. Johnson remained on the mat for nearly seven minutes before he was able to return to his feet.
Afterward, Johnson’s manager, Daniel Rubenstein, took to social media to share just how scary the knockout was.
According to the 38-year-old’s manager, Johnson was transported to the local hospital and was forced to undergo emergency surgery on his vertebrae beause it had slipped out of place.
“For those wondering about LeRoy Johnson, here’s the update I have. had emergency surgery for a vertebrae that slipped out of place & a 2nd surgery for high blood pressure issues. Has feeling in arms and legs,” Rubenstein wrote on Twitter. “PFL flying his fiancé to Philly to be with him. That’s all I know now.”
PFL 7 took place at Ocean Casino Resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Check out the knockout below.
If you missed out on PFL 7, we have you covered. The full results from Thursday night’s event can be seen below.
- Smealinho Rama def. Jamie Abdallah via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00
- Bazigit Ataev def. Sean O’Connell via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:30
- Alexandre Bezerra def. Magomed Idrisov via knockout (flying knee) – Round 1, 3:24
- Handesson Ferreira def. Paul Bradley via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:20
- Caio Alencar def. Mike Kyle via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Sadibou Sy def. Caio Magalhaes via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:06
- Emiliano Sordi def. Jason Butcher via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:16
- Omar Nurmagomedov def. Saidyokub Kakharamonov via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Ramazan Kuramagomedov def. Robert Hale via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Muhammed DeReese def. LeRoy Johnson via knockout (knee) – Round 1, 2:25