The Michigan Wolverines football program announced Sunday that they have dismissed defensive end Frank Clark from their program. The move comes just a short time after Clark was arrested on domestic abuse charges this weekend in Ohio. Clark was arrested in the wee hours Sunday and quickly pleaded not guilty on the charges of domestic abuse. Bail was then set at $3,000 and it remains unclear if he was able to post.
“This is a tragic situation,” coach Brady Hoke said in a written statement. “Our student-athletes will be held accountable when their actions fail to meet the standard we have at Michigan. There is a legal process that will occur and we respect that process.”
Coach Hoke made it very clear he does not want any of these types of cases associated with his program, but has not talked with Clark about the specifics surrounding the case. Still, Hoke took the last 24 hours to make his decision gathering the necessary facts before issuing his final verdict.
“I’ve told our guys since Day 1 that it won’t be tolerated,” he said. “It won’t be tolerated in this program. I have a daughter who is 29. I have a wife. I have two sisters. That’s always been probably one of the first things I talk about with our teams at least a couple times a year.”
The police report states that Clark – standing at 6’2’’, 270 pounds – punched his girlfriend in the face and her brother watched in the hotel as Clark picked her up by the neck and slammed her to the ground.
Clark, who recorded 13.5 tackles for a loss, had been one of the lone bright spots for a struggling Wolverines team. The senior also totaled 42 tackles with five of those coming as sacks. Michigan has one last chance to become bowl eligible this weekend when they play the Maryland Terrapins.
*Section Photo credit to Leon Halip, Getty Images; Featured Photo (above) credit to Paul Sherman, Michigan Daily