Alabama football coach Nick Saban is a very wealthy man.
The Crimson Tide leading man earns an annual salary of just over $7 million which makes Saban the highest-paid public employee in the entire country, according to a ranking by 24/7 Wall Street.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise, however, with the top ten highest-paid public employees being college football and basketball coaches.
Here’s the top ten:
- Nick Saban, University of Alabama football coach, Alabama – $7.09 million
- Jim Harbaugh, University of Michigan football coach, Michigan – $7 million
- John Calipari, University of Kentucky basketball coach, Kentucky – $6.88 million
- Urban Meyer, Ohio State University football coach, Ohio – $5.86 million
- Bob Stoops, University of Oklahoma football coach, Oklahoma – $5.86 million
- Charlie Strong, University of Texas football coach, Texas – $5.16 million
- Jimbo Fisher, Florida State University football coach, Florida – $5.15 million
- Sean Miller, University of Arizona basketball coach, Arizona – $4.95 million
- Bill Self, Kansas University basketball coach, Kansas – $4.94 million
- James Franklin, Penn State University football coach, Pennsylvania – $4.4 million
If you’re looking for the top ten non-college sports coaches, well, there is a significant drop off.
- Kayvan Khiabani, professor of surgery, University of Nevada Reno, Nevada – $987,638
- David Engle, neurosurgeon, Hawaii Health Systems Corp., Hawaii – $786,000
- Joshua Wynn, Vice President for Health Affairs and Dean of the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Science, North Dakota – $674,587
- Lewis Pasternak, anesthesiologist and CEO of Stony Brook University Hospital, New York – $673,596
- Mary Nettleman, Dean of the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, South Dakota – $577,650
- Frederick Morin III, Dean of the College of Medicine at the University of Vermont, Vermont – $559,644
- Keith Meyer, president Alaska Gasline Development Corp., Alaska – $550,000
- Mark Huddleston, president, University of New Hampshire, New Hampshire – $492,800
- Clay Christian, Montana’s Commissioner of Higher Education, Montana – $309,207
- James Page, chancellor, University of Maine System, Maine – $277,500
When it comes to college sports, you get what you pay for, so it’s no surprise that the top four highest paid coaches — Saban, Jim Harbaugh, John Calipari and Urban Meyer — are having overwhelming success with their programs.
Money speaks volumes, folks.
Photo Credit: YouTube