One of the top prospects in mixed martial arts, Ed Ruth, is set to return to the Bellator cage on Friday night at Bellator 168 in Florence, Italy after stepping up as a late replacement with less than one week’s notice.
Ruth, who was a standout wrestler at Penn State becoming a three-time NCAA champion, four-time All-American and four-time Big Ten champ, takes on Emanuele Palombia in a middleweight feature fight.
Before becoming a star at Penn State, Ruth was the top-ranked recruit in the nation for his weight class.
Now, he finds similar hype and expectations as he looks to jump start his MMA career.
Ruth successfully made his MMA debut at Bellator 163 back in November. In that fight, Ruth delivered a first-round TKO victory over Dustin Collins-Miles. He will be looking to repeat that success on Friday night.
Ruth currently trains at Dethrone Basecamp with fellow Bellator MMA fighters Josh Koscheck and Chris Honeycutt.
The full fight card for Saturday night’s action can be seen below:
Complete “Bellator 168: Sakara vs. Beltran” Card:
- Light Heavyweight Feature Fight: Alessio Sakara (18-11, 2 NC) vs. Joey Beltran (17-13, 1 NC)
- Light Heavyweight Feature Fight: Philipe Lins (10-1) vs. Kleber Raimundo Silva (12-7)
- Middleweight Feature Fight: John Salter (12-3) vs. Claudio Annicchiarico (1-4)
- Lightweight Feature Fight: Goiti Yamauchi (31-9) vs. Valeriu Mircea (12-3)
- Middleweight Feature Fight: Ed Ruth (1-0) vs. Emanuele Palombi (5-2)
Complete “Bellator Kickboxing: Florence” Card:
- Lightweight Feature Fight: Giorgio Petrosyan (82-2-2, 1 NC) vs. Jordan Watson (48-11-2)
- Flyweight World Title: Denise Kielholtz (45-3) vs. Gloria Peritore (11-1-1)
- Middleweight Feature Fight: Joe Schilling (19-9) vs. Victorio Lermano (30-7)
- Welterweight Feature Fight: Luca Novello (22-4-2) vs. Karim Ghajji (96-13-1)
- Lightweight Feature Fight: Kevin Ross (31-9) vs. Alessio Arduini (26-14-2)