We have surpassed the halfway point in the 2017 college football season, which means it is time for some of the top awards to narrow down their lists of potential candidates.
On Monday, Maxwell Football Club president Mark Dianno got awards season started with the list of 18 semifinalists for the 81st annual Maxwell Award for the Collegiate Player of the Year.
Included in the list of semifinalists are last year’s winner Lamar Jackson, and three other semifinalists from a year ago — Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley and Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts.
Two representatives from Oklahoma State — Mason Rudolph and James Washington — also made the list.
The semifinalists were selected by the Maxwell Football Club National Selection Committee.
Three finalists for the award will be announced on Nov. 20, before the winner will be announced live on Dec. 7 as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.
The complete list of semifinalists for the 2017 Maxwell Award can be seen below:
- Jalen Hurts, QB, Alabama (So.)
- Khalil Tate, QB, Arizona (So.)
- Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (Sr.)
- Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville (Jr.)
- Derrius Guice, RB, LSU (Jr.)
- Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State (Jr.)
- Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame (Jr.)
- J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State (Sr.)
- Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (Sr.)
- James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State (Sr.)
- Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State (Sr.)
- Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon (Sr.)
- Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (Jr.)
- Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (Sr.)
- Bryce Love, RB, Stanford (Jr.)
- McKenzie Milton, QB, UCF (So.)
- Sam Darnold, QB, USC (So.)
- Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin (Fr.)
Can’t get enough of Campus Sports? Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to stay updated with the latest news and exclusive giveaways!