UFC 221 takes place this weekend in Perth, Australia. It is the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s first-ever trip to Perth in Western Australia and the event will be headlined by a championship bout.
In the main event, former middleweight champion Luke Rockhold will be facing off against the always dangerous Yoel Romero for the interim 185-pound title.
Initially, the UFC was hoping for a middleweight unification bout between champion Georges St-Pierre and interim title holder Robert Whittaker, but medical issues led to both men pulling from the bout. St-Pierre relinquished his title, which led to Whittaker being promoted to undisputed champ. But after he withdrew, the UFC had to put Rockhold vs. Romero together for a chance to face Whittaker in the future.
In anticipation of the pay-per-view this weekend, the UFC has released the full “UFC 221 Countdown” episode online.
The episode gives a behind-the-scenes look at the top fighters on the card as they hit the gym and go through their fight camps for the big ahead this weekend.
You can watch the full “UFC 221 Countdown” episode below:
Go inside the lives and gyms of four extraordinary athletes preparing for UFC 221. Former champ Luke Rockhold and KO artist Yoel Romero both aim to capture middleweight gold; plus heavyweights Mark Hunt and Curtis Blaydes brace for a massive clash.
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10:00 p.m. ET)
- Luke Rockhold vs. Yoel Romero – for interim middleweight title
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Mark Hunt
- Cyril Asker vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Li Jingliang vs. Jake Matthews
- Tyson Pedro vs. Saparbek Safarov
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Damien Brown vs. “Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim
- Israel Adesanya vs. Rob Wilkinson
- Jeremy Kennedy vs. Alex Volkanovski
- Jussier Formiga vs. Ben Nguyen
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:45 p.m. ET)
- Mizuto Hirota vs. Ross Pearson
- Teruto Ishihara vs. Jose Quinonez
- Daichi Abe vs. Luke Jumeau