We are just a few days away from the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s debut in Perth, Western Australia with UFC 221: Romero vs. Rockhold.
While the inaugural show in Perth does not feature the star-studded headliner that was initially planned, two of the top middleweight contenders — Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold — will battle it out for the interim middleweight championship in the main event.
Romero (12-2) enters the bout as the No. 1 contender at 185 pounds. The Olympic medalist is coming off of a loss to the current middleweight champion, Robert Whittaker, in his last outing back in July, but he was riding an eight-fight winning streak prior to that loss — which was for the interim title.
Rockhold (16-3), meanwhile, is the No. 2 ranked contender.
The former middleweight champion los the belt to Michael Bisping back in June of 2016, before rebounding with a submission victory over David Branch in September of last year.
In anticipation of the pay-per-view, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has unveiled “UFC 221: Inside the Octagon” featuring a breakdown of the championship bout by commentators John Gooden and Dan Hardy.
You can check out the full “UFC 221: Inside the Octagon” breakdown below:
UFC 221 Fight Card
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10:00 p.m. ET)
- Luke Rockhold vs. Yoel Romero – for interim middleweight title
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Mark Hunt
- Cyril Asker vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Li Jingliang vs. Jake Matthews
- Tyson Pedro vs. Saparbek Safarov
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Damien Brown vs. “Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim
- Israel Adesanya vs. Rob Wilkinson
- Jeremy Kennedy vs. Alex Volkanovski
- Jussier Formiga vs. Ben Nguyen
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:45 p.m. ET)
- Mizuto Hirota vs. Ross Pearson
- Teruto Ishihara vs. Jose Quinonez
- Daichi Abe vs. Luke Jumeau
Stay tuned to Campus Sports throughout the weekend for the latest news and headlines from UFC 221.