The Big Ten awards for the week of May 7 have been announced, with the Baseball and Softball Players of the Week being announced. It was a huge week for the Minnesota Golden Gophers programs, with Softball Player of the Week representing the Gophers and the baseball honors being swept by the university.
The lone player not from Minnesota to pick up Big Ten honors this week was Sydney Bates of Purdue, who picked up the Pitcher of the Week and Freshman of the Week awards.
Which players brought home the honors from your favorite school?
The Big Ten Players of the Week can be seen below.
Big Ten Baseball Players of the Week
Player of the Week: Terrin Vavra, Minnesota, SS – Jr.
• Went 6-for-7 last week to help the Gophers sweep No. 20 Indiana
• Tallied five RBI on six hits and scored three runs while batting .857 on the week
• Hit a pair of home runs and a double as he registered a .900 on-base percentage and 1.857 slugging percentage
• Wins his second career Big Ten Player of the Week award
• Last Minnesota Big Ten Player of the Week: Micah Coffey (April 16, 2018)
Pitcher and Freshman of the Week: Patrick Fredrickson, Minnesota, P – Fr.
• Struck out a season-high eight batters to help Minnesota defeat No. 20 Indiana
• Threw 7.0 shutout innings, allowing just two singles on the day
• Records his second career Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honor
• Last Minnesota Big Ten Pitcher of the Week: Patrick Fredrickson (April 9, 2018)
• Wins his fourth Big Ten Freshman of the Week award
• Last Minnesota Big Ten Freshman of the Week: Patrick Fredrickson (April 30, 2018)
via Big Ten
Big Ten Softball Players of the Week
Ready for some @B1Gsoftball?
It all starts Thursday afternoon. pic.twitter.com/p2rAfxqBrH
— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) May 7, 2018
Player of the Week: Maddie Houlihan, Minnesota, OF – Jr.
• Batted .500 with a .500 on-base percentage and an .889 slugging percentage last week, registering two home runs, 11 RBI and five runs scored to help Minnesota to four wins in five games
• Hit a home run and had a season-high four RBI in the nightcap of a May 1 doubleheader sweep of North Dakota State
• Added two hits and two RBI in each of the Golden Gophers’ final two games last weekend (both wins over Big Ten foe Penn State), including a two-run home run in Sunday’s series finale
• Earns her second career Player of the Week honor
• Last Minnesota Player of the Week: MaKenna Partain (April 30, 2018)
Pitcher and Freshman of the Week: Sydney Bates, Purdue, RHP – Fr.
• Went 3-0 with three complete-game performances, including two shutouts, and a 0.37 ERA in the circle last week, adding 11 strikeouts in 19 innings of action to spark Purdue to a Big Ten sweep at Iowa
• Became the first Boilermaker pitcher ever to earn a victory in all three games of a conference series, and the first Purdue hurler to throw back-to-back shutouts against a Big Ten opponent on consecutive days
• Did not allow a run over her final 18 innings of the series, scattering seven hits in a five-inning shutout win on Saturday and tossing a three-hit shutout on Sunday
• Earns her first career Pitcher of the Week honor
• Last Purdue Pitcher of the Week: Lilly Fecho (April 25, 2016)
• Earns her first career Freshman of the Week honor
• Last Purdue Freshman of the Week: Lauren Stewart (April 25, 2016)
via Big Ten