The UFC 221 main event has been cursed throughout the past couple of months, but Saturday night’s pay-per-view is finally here and the Ultimate Fighting Championship is pushing forward for its promotional debut in Perth, Australia.
Initially, a middleweight unification bout between former champion Georges St-Pierre and interim champ Robert Whittaker was set for the pay-per-view. Unfortunately, St-Pierre vacated his title to focus on health issues, while Whittaker was promoted to undisputed champ. Whittaker was then forced to pull out of the event in his home country with health issues of his own.
That led to an interim title fight between Luke Rockhold and Yoel Romero in the main event.
Of course, there always seems to be some last-minute drama at weigh-ins and this week it was provided by Romero, who failed to reach the middleweight limit. Romero checked in at 187.7.
That means Romero is no longer eligible to win the interim title, but if Rockhold manages to come away with the win he will still be crowned the interim champion.
Due to the time difference, UFC 221 will actually take place on Sunday local time, but will be airing live in the United States at its normal time.
How can you tune in to Saturday night’s pay-per-view? Here is all of the information you will need to catch the action from the opening bout:
Date: Saturday, Feb. 10
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Venue: Perth Arena
Start Time: Prelims: 6:45 p.m. ET | Main card: 10:00 p.m. ET
Live Stream: Stream 1 (Early Prelims) | Stream 2 (FS1 Prelims) | Stream 3 (PPV)
UFC 221 Fight Card
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Luke Rockhold (185) vs. Yoel Romero (187.7)* – for interim middleweight title
- Curtis Blaydes (255.5) vs. Mark Hunt (265)
- Cyril Asker (243.5) vs. Tai Tuivasa (263.5)
- Li Jingliang (170) vs. Jake Matthews (170.5)
- Tyson Pedro (205) vs. Saparbek Safarov (204.5)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Damien Brown (156) vs. “Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim (156)
- Israel Adesanya (183) vs. Rob Wilkinson (186)
- Jeremy Kennedy (145) vs. Alex Volkanovski (145.5)
- Jussier Formiga (126.15)** vs. Ben Nguyen (125.5)
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Mizuto Hirota (156) vs. Ross Pearson (156)
- Teruto Ishihara (135.5) vs. Jose Quinonez (135)
- Daichi Abe (170.5) vs. Luke Jumeau (170.5)
* – Weighed 188 on first attempt; also missed weight (187.7) on second
** – Came in at 126.15 on first attempt but successfully made 126 on second attempt